Friday, October 17, 2008

Freebie Friday- November 28 Lace Scarf












Please Note: Page 1 of the pattern has been revised. All even rows are Purled, not Knit. Please download the revised page. I am so sorry for the error!



Whaddaya know? Another Freebie Friday pattern!



This scarf was inspired by the 365 Knitting Stitches a Year perpetual calendar, that my friend Melanie (Hands to Soul blog, link on the right side of this page) gave me several years ago. The November 28 pattern is called Staggered Fern, though it looks more like wheat stalks to me. This scarf is super simple- one repeat of the lace pattern with a garter/eyelet border on either edge, worked in halves and joined in the middle. It takes just 1 skein of Malabrigo Worsted (Mariposa colorway), and size 10 needles. If you're new to lace knitting (as I am), it's a good way to get your feet wet. It's also a good way to get used to reading lace charts, which I heartily recommend- so much easier than trying to follow the written instructions row by row (especially if you're short-term memory impaired, like I am. I can barely remember a phone number from the time I look it up to when I punch it in. A 12 row pattern repeat is beyond my RAM).


click on the 2 pattern pages to enlarge, right click to save as jpgs, print from any graphics program

8 comments:

Stacy Kraus McDonald said...

I love it! The color is great and the pattern is so pretty.

knakedknitter said...

Now I know what I'll do with that 1 skien of Malabrigo that I have left.

Aлиса said...

Hello!
Nice scarf!Thank you for scheme.

SYLVIE said...

Very pretty and thanks for sharing the pattern, it'll be on my to-do list!

Anonymous said...

very pretty lace! Thank you for the pattern.

Anonymous said...

It is lovely. Thank you for the pattern.
Sheryl

Unknown said...

What am I doing wrong? I could only get this to work with a cast on of 23 , and it worked fine till the 12th row where I worked all the stitches and had one left over on my first needle.

Kathleen Taylor said...

I'm mystified hallter- I worked the scarf with the chart shown- you start with 24 sts, and work with 24 sts all the way through (the decreases match the YOs exactly, so the stitch number never changes).

Are you working from the written instructions? maybe there's a mistake in them. Otherwise, the only thing I can think of, is on the 11th row, maybe you forgot to PSSO and ended up with an extra stitch.