Okay, so I wanted to try Sharpie tie-dyeing colored shoes.
So far, so good. I was envisioning soft blues and greens, spreading and touching to make a nice all-over pattern.
Well, that didn't turn out the way I expected. The darkest blue wicked, but most of the colors just sort of softened at the edges.
These shoes have a more tightly woven canvas, so that might have impeded the color blending.
After they dried, I tried dotting more of the darkest blue and applied more alcohol.
Better, but still not what I had in mind. I let them dry, rinsed, and let them dry again.
And then I took an opaque white pen and drew little spirals all over. That would have been perfect except that the white ink wasn't as opaque as I hoped it would be. So I then used a fine blue Prismacolor brush marker (alcohol base ink in that one too, so it won't wash out), and drew more spirals.
I can live with this- in fact I like it. It's not what I had in mind, but it's a learning process....