Friday, December 7, 2007

Freebie Friday- We Call Him Spidey Mittens







It took me a couple of tries to get these right. The first mitten (post and pic last week) was far too small. I was able to take the hem out, lop it off, pick up the sts and then knit a new cuff. It's now the right size for my 3 year old Spidey-obsessed grandson.
These are very specifically sized, for a 3-4 year old child. If you want to knit larger child-size mittens, I suggest adding a couple of sts to the vertical borders, using size 3 needles, adding cuff length, and working a few more rounds of web before the decreases. You will also need to set 1 or 2 more sts aside for the thumb, and pick up that many more when you knit the thumb(the extra sts can be part of the side border). If you want to knit an adult size pair, I would try worsted weight yarn and size 4-5 needles and this pattern (you may have to adjust the length, but you might not).

As mentioned, these mittens were inspired by Pumpkinmama's We Call Him Spidey Hat, and she gave me permission to use her chart. Thanks so much! My grandson will be delighted!
Click on pattern page images to enlarge, right click to save as a jpg. Print from any graphics program.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't let my boys look over my shoulder otherwise they will be begging for these mittens.

CraftyCarole said...

You've forced my hand to learn stranded knitting now... my boys would LOVE these... maybe for 3 Kings day.....

Kathleen Taylor said...

christyn- that makes me chuckle.

and carole, I'm thrilled to spread the love of stranded knitting. It's my favorite kind.

Knitting Therapy said...

Thanks for sharing this pattern. It is cool!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this pattern.My litle boy love it.

Sharon said...

OK, these are really cool, and believe it or not my 25 year old son wants some! Any chance you could translate it into an adult pattern, dear Kathleen?

LivM said...

Thanks for sharing this pattern!

Elisabeth said...

Thank you for sharing the spidermanpattern! My grandson will love it!

Greetings from Norway!

Elisabeth

Auli said...

Thank you, I finished my Spidey Mittens yesterday!
Best wishes from Finland!

adylucero said...

Do you have pdf download? is it possible for you to email me the pattern? for some reason I'm unable to read or copy the pattern. I will love to make this for my 7 year old nephew. thank you from mexico!

Kathleen Taylor said...

adylucero- I don't have a PDF of the pattern. In order to save the pattern pages, click on each page (individually), it will enlarge, and then you right-click and save each page on your computer as a jpg. You can then print the pages full size from any graphics program. Please let me know if this works for you. Thanks!

Áslaug said...

Thanks for sharing the pattern.My 3 years old boy loved it.Greeting from Iceland