Monday, December 31, 2007

The Great Recipe Box Show and Tell- revised recipe


Ann and Kay, of the marvelous Mason Dixon Knitting blog, have invited one and all to show their recipe boxes (new is fine, but old and battered is better) and post a recipe from said box. My own recipe box is from the late 70's or early 80's, a cheapo tin contraption with blue flowers on the bottom and a solid blue lid (it's also rusty on the bottom and chipped on the back). I know that I bought it at the Ben Franklin store, and I think I paid $1.35 for it. It has served me well.


I don't use the recipe box much lately because my husband found out in September that he is diabetic, so all of our recipes these days come from new books with titles that feature the words *lo-carb* and *healthy*. So just for nostalgia (and because I didn't make any this year), here's one of our old high-fat, high-carb, totally wonderful recipes. I adapted it from an Oreo-Cookie Fudge Recipe:


Heath Bar Fudge


2 1/2 cups sugar

3/4 cup butter (no margarine)

2/3 cup Evaporated milk

2 cups (7 oz) Marshmallow Creme

8 ozs white almond bark or vanilla chips

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 bag Heath Bar bits (the kind with the chocolate) or several Heath Bars crushed


Butter an 8" square pan

Melt or soften the almond bark (in the microwave, 3+ minutes on high in a microwave safe cup)


In a large saucepan, combine sugar, butter, and milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 3 minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in marshmallow creme, almond bark and vanilla. Beat until smooth.


Pour half of the mixture into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with half of the Heath Bar bits. Pour the remaining mixture over the bits, smooth, and top with the remaining bits. Chill and cut into pieces.


I have no idea how many calories or carbs are in a single piece, and anyway the notion of eating just one piece of fudge is far too depressing to contemplate. But I hope you all enjoy this recipe. Trust me, it's yummy.


Find more links to recipe box stories at Mason Dixon Knitting: http://www.masondixonknitting.com/


p.s. Despite missing fudge, the diabetic regime has been good for both of us- we've both lost over 30 lbs and I am wearing clothes with numbers like *1* and *4* on the tags... amazing...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Kathleen ... I have a little granddaughter who is diabetic. I use Splenda in my recipes that I make for her now. There is also a web site:
http://www.fitday.com
You can put in your recipe and it will give you a carb count for the entire batch. Then you need to divide that carb count by the number of pieces you cut. It works for fudge, cake, cookies ... everything! If you need any further info about cooking for diabetics, please email me directly at bedstemor@hotmail.com
Kathy Sorensen