Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Walking in a Winter Wonderland

We were supposed to get 1" of new snow overnight. We got 4". Starting tomorrow, through Friday, we're slated to get up to 10" more, and high winds. We're in a Blizzard Warning, which means the storm is definitely coming. The Governor was just on TV, pleading with people to stay home (or leave now, while the roads are still relatively clear).

Luckily, all of our people are here (those who will be here, anyway. The CA Contingent is staying there), and I'm done with my shopping and wrapping, and have plenty of food and drink to last us for the duration, so though I do not wish a blizzard on anyone, if it happens: we're ready.


The girls and I made Peanut Butter Blossoms.

I ventured out this morning to take pictures, in my winter wear- snowpants, Carhartt jacket and hat, Sorell boots, (rated for    -20 degrees, purchased in the 80's and still going strong), and Ragg Wool gloves with Thinsulate linings. I was toasty warm- in fact if I'd been out very long, I would have become overheated.


The snow is highly mobile, so some spots are bare.


Others... not so much (no swimming for awhile)



An old gate


Hay bales. Big hay bales (these are over 5' tall and weigh over 1,000 lbs)


In sheltered spots, the snow piled up.

Stay warm everyone. Stay toasty, hunker down, and drive carefully. The next couple of days are going to be interesting.

4 comments:

Geek Knitter said...

So good to see that you've got your priorities straight, re: baking!

Be well!

MorningGlory said...

You sound plumb cozy. Have fun and Merry Christmas.

joannamauselina said...

It looks pretty chilly. It is warm sweater weather here in your old home country, the Northwest.

Fríða said...

I almost envy you, but only almost! we have not seen any sign of snow here. I wish you and your loved ones a very happy christmas and a wonderful new year and I thank you for the view into your life and knitting here on the blog.
best wishes from Iceland
Frida