Friday, August 24, 2007

Monkeying around


So I'm the last sock knitter to try Monkey Socks , but I'm catching up. I've done 4 of the 6 pattern repeats for the cuff and will get to the heel today sometime. It's not a pattern that I can memorize (11 rows is about 8 too many for my mental hard drive), but it's easy enough to follow, and I love how it's coming out. My only worry is that they're going to be a little loose on me- my generic sock pattern is 56 sts on size 2 needles (3mm Knit Picks), this one is 64 sts with YOs, so it's going to be more flexible. But I'm reluctant to rip it out for smaller needles (the 2.75mm Knit Picks) unless I have to. I'll keep on to the heel, and then I'll have a better sense of how the sock will fit.
I'm using a wonderful yarn that I bought at Great Yarns in Everett WA, while on vacation this summer. It's Fly Super Sport, 3 ply, machine washable merino, hand-dyed Monarch, color: citrus. It's a bit heavier than my usual sock yarn (more like Socks That Rock than Opal or Regia), and it's wonderfully springy. The colors are brighter than in my photo- very Rainbow Sherbet.

No comments: