Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Healthy Recipe- Peanut Butter Cookies

I adapted this recipe from one I found on the Diabetic Living website. My adaptation leaves out the sugar, and substitutes Splenda. My version has more calories because I only made 24 cookies from the recipe, rather than 36, but it's less than half the number of carbs. Be warned, Splenda can leave a bit of a tangy aftertaste, you might want to go with the original recipe, or split the sugar/substitute half and half (and if you do, be sure to adjust the calories and carbs upward). Use the bulk baking granules, not the little packets for sweetening coffee.

These cookies are crumbly but soft and very good.



Peanut Butter Cookies

Preheat oven to 375 degrees, spray cookie sheet and cookie press with non-stick spray

1 cup Splenda
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 egg
about tbsp Splenda

Mix ingredients until well mixed. Roll dough (will be soft, but not sticky) into 1" balls. Place 2" apart on baking sheet. Dip sprayed cookie press in the tbsp of Splenda, and press on cookies. Bake about 9 minutes, or until set. Allow cookie to cool on sheet for a few minutes, and then carefully remove

Per cookie: 70 calories, 2.6 gr carb

4 comments:

Gramma Phyllis said...

Kathleen, did you mean 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of P.B., 1 egg and tbsp of splenda? Because if you didn't I can see why the taste was off.

Gramma Phyllis said...

Kathleen, did you mean 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of P.B., 1 egg and tbsp of splenda? Because if you didn't I can see why the taste was off.

Kathleen Taylor said...

Gramma Phyllis- the recipe doesn't use flour at all. The original called for 1 cup of sugar. I subbed the Splenda, but maybe next time I'll ignore the carbs and go half and half with sugar and splenda. My stepmother does the same recipe, except she uses 3/4 cup honey instead of sugar, and I suspect that would taste really good too. The texture of the cookies is okay (soft and crumbly both) without flour, which is interesting.

Anonymous said...

I'm amazed to stumble across this blog (thanks to your DorothyL post) and this recipe. I've been making the peanut butter cookies for about a year -- using sugar and chunky peanut butter and the egg. Best cookies I ever ate and easiest to make! I'll try them with Splenda, too.

Kathleen, I love your Tory Bauer mysteries!

Pat Browning
Author of ABSINTHE OF MALICE