Sunday, February 20, 2011

Home

It's interesting- the trip through security at LAX on Friday was quick and painless- no full-body scanners, no invasive touching, no random body searches- just the usual x-rays, all performed faster than usual. We were through in less than 5 minutes after getting in line, as opposed to last Friday departing from Sioux Falls where I was pulled out of the line for a modified pat-down. Since I was the only one treated to the special scrutiny, I have to assume that Grey Haired Grammas have been deemed particularly dangerous of late.
When we flew out, most of the country was pure white- at least until Las Vegas or so. The weather in SD was mild last week, so a lot of the snow had melted in the interim. This shot was taken as we approached Sioux Falls. Since we're in the middle of another storm right now (with 12" of new snow predicted), I suspect it looks a little whiter from the air again. If there are any planes flying.
While we were in SoCal, the Grands finished assembling a little over half of the Papertoy Monsters. We all had great fun with them, and I'm excited to tackle the book with the SoDak contingent. Again, my only caveat with this book is to forget glue, and use tape instead. I can't imagine trying to glue all those teeny tabs (some of the *advanced* monsters have upwards of 70 tabs).

While we were in CA, I finished reading The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. I enjoyed the book without loving it- 11 year old Flavia is just a bit frightening, and her family is pretty much universally awful. But the book was entertaining, and I'll read the rest in paperback.


On the flight home, I read Laura  Lippman's The Girl in the Green Raincoat. I can recommend this novella without reservation. It first appeared in serial form in the New York Times, and is now available in paperback. It's a Tess Monaghan installment, and it's every bit as wonderful as all of Laura's other stories. And it's the perfect length to finish on a 2 hour 15 minute flight.

When we got home, I mostly collapsed, though I have done a little knitting, as you can see above. These are the Araucania socks, made with the yarn I bought at Loop & Leaf in Santa Barbara (the yarn buying moratorium is lifted only at appearances- it's the least I can do to thank a store for hosting me).

And since I am still sneezing and dripping and coughing, two days after our return, I must reluctantly admit that my cold has, indeed, come back, since there is no pollen floating around out there in the blizzard. Sigh. I am leaving again in a little over two weeks, and therefore I have put myself on notice: get well, or else.

3 comments:

Teish said...

Oh no! Take care of yourself and feel better soon!

Diana Troldahl said...

Hope that cold leaves for good very soon. We have been flirting with a mild but persistent strain of flu bug this entire month. No WONDER I didn't get enough things crossed off the list.
BTW in a week or so I hope to blog a review of Fearless Fair Isle.

Kathleen Taylor said...

Teish- thanks. I am feeling better, finally. Diana- cool!