Friday, November 9, 2007

Freebie Friday- Double Freebies, Elephant Hats






















Last week I came up with an Elephant chart for someone at Ravelry (the big elephant is adapted from an old filet crochet design, the small one is my original). This week I decided to knit the charts in 2 different versions- a tam, and a regular hat.


The gray/white/red hat came out perfectly, with elephants marching around the perimeter. The neon tam came out well too, though the motifs don't show up as sharply as on the other hat. I did realize that the large elephant gets *cut* in half by the tam fold, though that doesn't matter when it's on a head, since that part is totally visible. But while it's laying flat, the big elephant doesn't show.

Both of these patterns are child sized. Each version is a single page.

Click on the 2 pattern pages to enlarge, right click to save.

7 comments:

Mary said...

They are so Darling!

Anonymous said...

I love your red, white, and gray elephant hat!

I want one like it in my size =)

sheeptosweater@att.net

Kathleen Taylor said...

I think that if you did a little jockeying, you could make the elephant hat in an adult size. Keep the same size needles, CO 18 more sts, then add some sort of 6 st motif to one side of Chart 1 (adding 18 sts total to the hat, which should make it big enough to fit an adult). You might need to work a few more rows of patterning before the decreases. And on the decreases, you'd have one more elephant motif.

I can't guarantee that would work, but it should.

Kathleen Taylor said...

Oops, re the above suggestion for an adult size elephant hat: CO 16 more sts, work the ribbing and then increase 2 more sts.

Otherwise, the K2P2 ribbing won't work out properly.

Anonymous said...

Wow, lat comment is 2007 so I don't know if I'll get any help! But just in case...
I don't understand how to do the top of the hat. The chart for the little elephants. Are there decreases I'm not seeing?
Where are the decreases or is it more white stitches should be added? First row of elephant legs I did was a 16 stitch repeat which doesn't work... Help! Thanks...

Kathleen Taylor said...

V aka the Wild Rabbit: the decreases are indicated by the jogs in the chart. Whenever the chart jobs in, work decreases (K2tog, or SSK, depending on which side of the chart the decrease is on).

paula said...

what a fabulous elephant hat! My son in law has a thing about elephants and his daughter will sport one ASAP.Thank you! Paula
http://ragdollsandwoolies.blogspot.com/
http://www.etsy.com/shop/HolyLandWoolens