Saturday, November 24, 2007

Selbu Obsession




This is the 3rd pair of Selbuvotter mittens that I've made. I don't think I've ever knit 3 patterns from a single book in a row before. But these mittens are so gorgeous and I have several more people on my Christmas list who are getting mittens (or maybe gloves), so I can indulge in this obsession.


So far, I've used Knit Picks Palette yarns. They knit up a bit smaller than the given gauges, so my mittens have all been tighter and smaller than the book, but they're okay for the recipients. While I love the black and white traditional colors, I'm low on black yarn right now- and besides which, I like mixing up the colors.
These are Annemor #2. I shortened the mitten by about 1 1/2" (my 6 year old granddaughter wouldn't want all that empty flapping at the end of her hand), and I shortened the thumb by 1 repeat.

And finally, on the 5th mitten, I got the hang of picking up the thumb stitches so that the patterns match. I needed to get that technique figured out before I tackle gloves.

8 comments:

Elizabeth D said...

Spectacular!! I remember that one year, probably 7 or 8 years ago, I bought turquoise and rose yarn at Stitches East to make some Norwegian mittens, and got quite a stern talking to by the vendor, because my colors were not traditional. I love your sunshine mittens!

Kathleen Taylor said...

Turquoise and rose sound beautiful together. I'm thinking blue and green for my next pair.

I do love the traditional look, but I also love neon colors. And I love to play!

Anonymous said...

I love the different use of color for the mittens. That is one of the things that makes them so fun. I look forward to the nest pair as green is my favorite color.

Anonymous said...

It's great to see these mittens in bright colours! Love them.

Diana Troldahl said...

That's it. I NEEED that book, I already wanted it because it had 'otter' in the title) I know, I'm shallow) But I've seen so many gorgeous knits from it this year!
And besides, I married someone of Norwegian heritage. (our name means "Valley of the Trolls")

Anonymous said...

Another gorgeous pair - I love the bright color combinations you are using in your mitts!
(and that behind the thumb pick up is perfect!!)

Kathleen Taylor said...

diana, I don't think I've ever knit so many patterns from a single book, and I'm nowhere near done yet. I've loved every single mitten, and I want to knit some of the gloves too. It's well worth having.

pat- thanks. I am having a blast knitting these mittens in such bright colors.

Diana Troldahl said...

I just dropped an hermongous boulder of a hint on my husband (thank goodness the metaphorical ones don't weigh much) so I might be getting it for Yule. :-}
Why be subtle? it works better when I'm bold :-}