Monday, August 11, 2008

Accident Prone


Lately, I've been injuring myself at the rate of about once a week. My formerly dislocated little toe is finally comfortable in a shoe again, so I can walk without limping (and maybe I can even run soon), so it was obviously time to get hurt again. The new kitchen knives jumped up and volunteered for the job a couple of days ago. Now a cut isn't as debilitating as a dislocated toe, and though this one bled a bunch (we're talking fainting at the sight of blood bunch), it didn't need stitches (in part because I said, Hell no, I'm not going to the Emergency Room). I didn't think much about it until I sat down to spin last night, at which time I realized that I could not spin fine yarns with my right thumb swaddled in Scooby Doo band-aids. So it'll be a couple of days before I can get back to my Minstrel handspun beaded lace scarf.


Luckily, I can still knit. And I did register another Ravelympics project- Genevieve's Graduation sweater. I finished the body last night and bound it off. I am going to figure out how deep the front neckline will go today, and pick up stitches for one of the front bands (I'm working the same picot green-white band as along the bottom of the sweater- it'll have pewter clasps, not buttons) (yay! no buttonhole calcualtions!). I'm going to try something different this time- I'm going to pick up and knit the bands before I cut the front steek. That will eliminate even the chance of stitches raveling. I think. I'll take pics. I'm not starting the sleeves until the front bands are done, because I need them in place in order to determine the sleeve steek position.

And as soon as I can spin without bleeding all over the wool, I'll get back to the lace scarf.

5 comments:

joannamauselina said...

Ouch! But on the other hand, your new photo (slim you) is very nice, and those socks REALLY rock!

Anonymous said...

#1,
Sorry about the toe and the cut.....Super Glue works wonderful on knife cuts, paper cuts or other bobo's.....and they heal faster...

#4

Helle from Denmark said...

Next time, just walk into a door or something.....it is not as messy as involving knifes!*GRIN*

I've done frontbands etc, before doing the sleeves. I even cut my steeks, and they are still holding up, even I haven't trimmed and sewed them down yet, and have been handling the project, without thinking one bit about the steeks!:-) Of course it have to do with what kind of yarn you have used.....if it is smoth and slippery, or if it is for instanse shetland yarn!:-)

Karen said...

Oh, for one horrible moment I thought you'd set a garment down on top of a candle too! But yeah, the finger and toe injuries bring their own special kind of joy, don't they? I second the motion re. Super Glue, BTW.

Kate/Massachusetts said...

Your socks are gorgeous! I love all the entrelac!

Next time you go to the pharmacy, pick up a package of steri-strips for your first aid supplies. They really help keep that sort of a wound closed and heal faster. Just put the skin back together and wrap the steri-strips at a right angle to the wound. There has been many-a-time I have wrapped those things totally around a digit! lol