Sunday, August 10, 2008


I knew there was a sock in there somewhere.

This project was a total improvisation- I knew that they would end up socks eventually (not that *they* are done yet, I still have the heel/sole/toe/seaming do do on the mate), but I had no idea how they'd fit. This one clocked in a little long and loose for me (my foot is a 7-8 and these are 9-10), so this pair will go in the Christmas Pile-I have a recipient in mind already). I used 21 st mitered squares, and I think on the next pair with the same weight yarn (heavy fingering), I'll use 19 st squares. That'll shorten and tighten them just enough, I think, and I'll only do 3 rows of squares on the instep, and fill in the rest with plain stockinette until the toe decreases.
Stats: 2.75mm needles, worked flat, 36 mitered squares per sock, heavy fingering weight yarn (Socks that Rock, Shi Bui Sock, Monarch Fly Sport, Twisted Playful, Colinette Jitterbug)

It's not washed or blocked, but it is seamed, and a bazillion ends are woven in. I am entirely pleased with the whole notion. I will have another present finished. And I used up a bunch of little leftover balls of yarn. win win win

Now to get the wheel out and work on a Ravelympics project (too bad I didn't register these socks in the WIP event).


CC said...

I watched with skepticism while you posted each step while making these socks but you really did pull the rabbit out of the hat!


MaryjoO said...

this is an amazing project, and a testament to "discipline" in getting those little squares done LOL

Leigh said...

I love these! What a fun idea for yarn leftovers.

ambermoggie said...

I love these:)

RuthieJ said...

Wow, those socks turned out really neat!!