Saturday, March 20, 2010

When life gives you lemons...

Okay, so I had to buy the lemons.


And the vodka. And the Everclear.


And I'll have to buy cane sugar (though I may have some in the wine supplies).  Anyway...

When life gives (hands/sells) you lemons, make limoncello.


This process isn't nearly as complex as winemaking. I'm not fermenting anything, I'm just steeping lemon rinds in grain alcohol and vodka, and then sweetening it (and I'm going to use real sugar- this stuff is meant to be sipped slowly from a teeny tiny glass, on special occasions. I'm not going to worry about the calories or carbs) (the sugar isn't the main concern- we're talking Everclear here. That stuff will knock you on your butt in no time flat). It'll be about 90 days before it's ready, and even then, it doesn't hurt to age it more (in the freezer).


In the meantime, after peeling 15 outer lemon layers, I was left with this:

and had no choice but to make...

Though I did use Splenda.

2 comments:

Mary Keenan said...

Lemons are so beautiful in a group like that, aren't they (and also in lemonade!)

maxine said...

Lemonade is also very good if you add a sprig of rosemary. Now I want to know what rosemary might do for the lemoncello...