Friday, September 3, 2010

Thursday- Ventura

It always takes me a day or so to get used to the time change, so I'm a day behind on postings. I think I've acclimated now, so I shouldn't get so far behind.

Yesterday, we went to Ventura. It was cool and foggy in the morning (and I will remember not to call the pissy little incline on my weekly long-run a *hill* any more). Out here, there is no level, it is all up or down. It was foggy in the morning, but cool and clear and sunny in the afternoon. Perfect weather.

There are lotsa palm trees. Everywhere.

Ventura is a wonderful mix of old and new.

see?

We went to We Olive for an olive oil/balsamic vinegar tasting. Sounds odd, right? Odd it may be, but also incredibly yummy.

The fact that we can't take any of this in a carry-on didn't stop me from buying (I'll mail it back home). On the left is Cinnamon Caramel Pear Balsamic Vinegar and it's the most amazing stuff I've ever had- it would be wonderful over apples. In the middle is jalapeno olive oil which we'll use as a dipping sauce. On the right is Peach Balsamic Vinegar, which will be absolutely perfect on a salad. If you're ever in Ventura, stop at this place- the staff is pleasant and knowledgable and oh so willing to explain why drinking olive oil is A Good Thing.

After the tasting, we ate lunch at Nature's Grill, which was fantastic. I MUST make tomato cauliflower soup. And then we had chocolates at Trufflehound's Fine Chocolates. Four words: Sea Salt Caramel Chocolate.

And then we drove to Oxnard and sifted sand with our toes for awhile. After that, we came back and picked the kids up from school, and made jalapeno poppers and pizza on the grill and drank wine and played games and, in general, had a perfect evening.

This week is going by too quickly already.

No comments: