Sunday, November 14, 2010

I do not cough for my own amusement

I would be a very different sort of person if knitting with yarn called Netherfield did not make me think of P&P. The above header is one of my absolute favorite quotes from the book, and it almost never makes it to the filmed versions (which are but pale imitations of the written, Colin Firth notwithstanding)(and I can barely watch the Kiera Knightley installment, though I think the dirt and mud, and pigs in the courtyard ,are probably very much proper).


As you can see, I finished the first Netherfield sock, and it's as gorgeous as its namesake (okay, so maybe you have to be an Austen Sock Knitter to believe that a hand knit sock can be rightly compared to an iconic fictional location, but there you are). I cast on the mate, and will work on it in the evenings when I'm not writing. For whatever reason (and I am not about to examine it too closely, lest it disappear), work on the YA Fantasy is going extremely well at the moment, and that takes precedence over all things, including knitting. And cooking. And bathing.


I'm not much for the whole NaNoWriMo thing- I'm not nearly as concerned with getting a certain number of words written in a given amount of time, as I am with getting the right words written when they're ready. But I have a deadline, and miraculously, given the iffy state of my lungs (and the fuzzy state of my brain), I've been cranking out 1,000+ words a day lately. So even though I'm not officially participating, my goal is the same as the WriMo folks: to finish this book by the end of the month. I still don't know if I'll make it, but the chances are better this week, than they were last week.


In the meantime, I'm improving slowly. I learned on Friday that driving 40 miles and sitting with good friends for 3 hours was all it took to drain my reserves, so I'm cutting back on activity for a bit longer (lordy- I'll have to start from scratch when I can finally start racking up the miles again). Mr Bennet has not yet authorised to cough as much as I chuse (which is not at all), but I'm getting there.

2 comments:

joannamauselina said...

The socks are indeed lovely. And glad you are feeling better and still up to cranking out those words.

Teish said...

Glad the writing is going well! I've got writing to do, but It's not going nearly as well as yours!

The sock are lovely!!! They really do look like the perfect colors for Netherfield!

Hope you stop coughing soon!