Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Summer of the Spindle

Ladybug Girl had tried spinning before, but it didn't take.
Yesterday, it did. She did very well on her first try, and she's excited about the prospect of selecting and sanding her own spindle!Two down, three to go!
Side note: we had plenty of time indoors yesterday. At 6pm, the air temp was 106, the dew point was 80, and the heat index was 118. The only time we went outside was to go from the house to the pool.

It took me two weeks, but I finished George R.R. Martin's A Dance With Dragons, the 5th book in the Ice and Fire series (the Game of Thrones books, for those new to the series). I read it on the Kindle, so I didn't have to lug around 1,000+ pages, but I would have done it, happily. This book continues the Westeros saga admirably. Of course, like all of the other books in the series, it leaves you with multiple cliff-hangers, possibly dead main characters, and a deep and abiding wish that Martin would write faster. Since he only produces these books every five years or so, I hope he lives long enough to complete the projected seven installments. Hell, I hope I live long enough to read them.


Next up on the Kindle, Lev Grossman's The Magicians. I have high hopes for it.

But I won't be reading anything this afternoon. I am taking as many Grands as want to go, to see Captain America. It looks like fun.

No comments: