Monday, May 14, 2012

Old quilt, new quilt

The Firebird quilt is a baby quilt, meant to be used, not just looked at, which means it'll get dirty, which is exactly how it should be. I machine washed and dried the fabrics before quilting, and then I machine washed and dried the finished quilt.
The difference is amazing. It didn't shrink more, it just... fluffed... and puffed... the details really pop now, and the whole quilt has such depth. I love this. Now, it is truly ready to go to my friend, where it'll be an At Gramma's House Blanket.

 And by great coincidence, the fabric for the Next Quilt arrived the very morning after I finished Firebird. This is another Spoonflower original fabric (not my design). It's a complete mood shift from Firebird, but the moment I saw it, I fell in love. These goofy robots captivated me.
 And the coordinating fabric (one of several from the same designer), is perfect!
 I think I'll go with a solid color binding- probably bright orange, or bright green.
And of course, I started quilting right away. The designer helpfully drew little quilting lines everywhere, so I know right where to sew... This quilt is going to be such fun to work on!

1 comment:

Nora said...

I really like how your Firebird quilt came out after washing. It has a three dimensional feel to it. Very beautiful! It almost seems a shame to use it and should be hanging on a wall instead of on a baby's bed. It's a work of art in my humble opinion. :) Can't wait to see what you do with the robot quilt!