Monday, December 3, 2012

Drum roll please!


I am thrilled to unveil, finally, the cover of my mainstream novel, The Nut Hut. The copy edits have been incorporated and the files have been sent off for formatting. I don't have an exact release date yet, but I hope it will be available on all eBook platforms by the end of the year. I will, of course, keep you posted on the progress. I love love love this cover- it fits the tone of the book perfectly.

Here's the catalog copy: In late January, 1971, eighteen-year-old Becky Decker reported for her first day of work at Byerley State Hospital and School, a state-run institution spoken of mostly in whispers. She hoped to make friends, and to "make a difference" in her very first job. What she found during that week was a world of heartbreak and hope in a universe that no longer exists.

And an Author Note will read as follows: Though institutions like Byerley existed in every state, the transformation brought about by Title XIX and other federal programs changed that world forever. The institutional policies and procedures depicted herein are accurate as far as I can remember them, but Byerley itself and the story in this book are both works of fiction. Truth was willingly sacrificed in favor of the story. Any resemblance between the characters and persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

This book has had a long, strange journey, and I am very excited, eleven years after finishing the first draft, that it's finally going to be released. It's time for the Happy Writer Dance!

4 comments:

Susan @ The Book Bag said...

I am so excited to hear this news Kathleen! I am a huge fan of your Tory series (wish there were more) from Brookings. I remember you talking about this book at one of your talks at the public library and I am so happy for you that it is finally going to be out there for all to read.

I also remember you talking about the 'voice' of Tory speaking to you and telling you her story. That has always stuck with me. I now have a book blog and that is the question I ask authors - to talk about their 'voices'.

Good luck with The Nut Hut - I can't wait to read it!

GardenOfDaisies said...

Well that is exciting! Congratulations!

Kate/Massachusetts said...

Congratulations! I can't wait to read it. Will be be available on Kindle? I've enjoyed your books!!

Linda said...

Congratulations!