Tuesday, March 31, 2009

You not only can't get there from here...











... you can't get here from here.


It's March and this is South Dakota, and I've lived here for 38 years, so late winter blizzards (doesn't matter what the calendar says- March is Winter in SD) are no surprise. And yet, we're still a little surprised by the power of this storm.

We're right in the middle of this one, which began last night with some Thunder Snow (yes- lightning and snow at the same time). It's hard to measure how much snow we've gotten so far, because even though it's wet and heavy, it's drifting because we're having 40mph+ winds. We could get up to 14", and certainly, we have drifts over 3' now. This is snowman snow, a rarity here (note that it stuck to the sides of the buildings and trees). Visibility is under 1/4 of a mile, and no travel is recommended anywhere in the north eastern portion of the state. This storm is expected to howl well into tonight and very early tomorrow morning (which means that my already-postponed dental appointment, may be postponed again). Then we get to dig out.

Luckily, I ran all of my errands yesterday. And I have plenty to do today. I plied the 2nd bobbin of the Batty roving (no pic because it looks just like the first skein, only a little smaller) last night, and have the final bobbin to ply. I spent about 3 hours yesterday afternoon cutting out fabric panel dolls to sew for the 3 Grands, plus 2 Honoraries for Easter, so I can haul the sewing machine downstairs and get to work. And I have an entire season of Dexter to watch. I'll just stay inside and admire Mother Nature.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband loved the snow pictures, and then he went out to sit on the front porch and look at the neighbor's dogwood tree and azaleas which are in full bloom.

Stacy Kraus McDonald said...

I love thunder snow! Hope spring comes soon...

Gayle said...

I enjoy your updates. Thanks. Being a S CAian it is interesting to see so much snow plastered on the bldsg. Love the knitting stuff and general KT life. I love most your updates on weather and environs. I plan to read all your books this summer.
Gayle