These are the materials I chose (2 1/2" fabric squares from my friend Lorah), and one hex formed over a shape cut from an index card- a totally nifty way to do it, and the folded, pressed and stay-stitched Prairie Points.
This is the completed top. So far, so good.
This is the back of the completed top, with the paper forms still in place (I pulled them out immediately after taking the picture. I assembled the hexes by hand because I didn't have any invisible thread (lo, I did not know such a thing existed. Some is on the way to me now).
And this.... is what it looks like, assembled and stuffed. From the top, not so bad. From the sides... well, my husband laughed out loud. I just sighed.
Not only is it ugly, the unspun cotton I used to stuff it is so dense that pins and needles won't go in easily, so it's also non-functional. I didn't realize that the printout of the top template wasn't to size (it was supposed to be 6 1/2", and mine printed out at 6", which made for far too much allowance in the fitting of the side), which accounts a little for the disconnect between the picture and the product.
But... even so, it's not what I expected.
I spent 2 days hand sewing this sucker (and enjoyed the hand sewing part), so I'm not going to toss it. I will take it apart and cut it down, and see if I can make something that is not only usable, but marginally attractive. I am also going to use something more friendly to sharp points for the filling- not fiberfill, but also not the suggested ground walnut shells (walnut shells make a dandy dye- I would never put them inside something that I didn't want to end up a blotchy brown). My husband suggested millet seeds (as long as you don't get it wet and they start to sprout). I might try sand. I'll post pics.