Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The e-book cover for Funeral Food

Most of you know that before I started writing knitting books, I wrote six mysteries in the Tory Bauer series. The books were published as paperback originals by Avon (I shared an editor with Dennis Lehane and Laura Lippman, which is some pretty amazing company). The books have been out of print for quite awhile, but the first three are being readied for release in the Kindle format (with the Nook version to follow shortly thereafter). My son, Curtis Taylor,  is designing the covers for the e-books. He has two blogs, Curtis Taylor, Artist and Illustrator, where he details his journey as a new writer (and sells his own original artwork and note cards), and Hop Head Said, a beer-blog that he writes for Ventura County. I love his work, and one of the pleasures of releasing these books in a new format, is that I got to choose the cover artist. I did not hesitate.

We expect Funeral Food, Sex and Salmonella, and The Hotel South Dakota (which is the correct reading order- ignore their original publication order) to be available next month. If you're completely unfamiliar with the series, the Amazon reviews will give you a notion of what to expect (hint: bad words, and no knitting).

Curt has been working on the covers for a few months, and yesterday, he sent me an almost-final draft of the cover for Funeral Food. There may be some minor tweaks, but this one is pretty well finished.
I don't know about you, but I love it!

12 comments:

quiltcontemplation blogspot said...

Very exciting. I will buy them for my nook ap on my ipad! Keep us posted!

Cyncalla said...

So the talent is obviously genetic for you folk! Very nice.

ct. said...

Aaw, that so cute, you think this cover is almost done ;-) I just added 4 new elements and rearranged the objects in the frame.

Kathleen Taylor said...

Works in progress are fascinating too... heh...

Beverly (db81971) said...

Any thoughts on yours being released as audio books?

Kathleen Taylor said...

I would love to have the books released as audio books, but the entire production would have to be at my expense, and that's way out of my league. On the very off chance that a publisher might be interested, I'd be delighted. But I doubt that will happen.

joannamauselina said...

I read the one our library has and I enjoyed it very much. I think it happened on New Year's Eve during a blizzard, but it was a long time ago. Would enjoy reading more. The new cover, in its untweaked condition, is very nice.

Jan Morrison said...

I love it! So fresh and sassy too.
Jan Morrison

Unknown said...

I will look for it for my Kindle when it is ready!

Love that you and your son get to work together! My daughter and I do as well so I know how lucky that is.

Susan @ The Book Bag said...

I would love to read a new Tory Bauer book. Any chance of that happening?

A huge SD fan!

Mara T said...

I would love a new Tory Bauer book too. Your descriptions of small town midwestern life are so bang on it is almost scary. I have read your Tory Bauer books and have autographed copies of them all, mostly picked up when you were at the Fargo Barnes and Noble. I got "The Missionary Position" already signed from Once Upon a Crime in Mpls.

maxine said...

Hope these get gobs of attention and inspire book 7!