Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Baby, it's cold outside


-24 this morning when I got up.


That's Fahrenheit, kiddos. And that's without the wind chill. -24, actual air temp. I tried the magic water trick (when it's really really cold, take a 1/4 cup of hot water outside, in a plastic or paper cup, and fling it in the air, the water will freeze instantly in a poof of ice crystals that look like smoke) but it has to be about -30 for it to work. Insane person that I am, I was a little sad that it wasn't quite cold enough. We only get temps like this every couple of years, so the opportunity to film the trick has probably passed.


But at least it's going to warm up to a relatively tropical -10 by this afternoon. Shirtsleeve weather.

9 comments:

Ninne said...

Very nice song!!!! How many degrees is that in Celcius, I wonder? Cold enouph, I presume!!!
We have a warm winter by the coast in southern Norway and I don't like it. But in the mountains there is more snow than ever! I look forward to easter when we are going to the mountains!Stor klem!

Bunny Queen said...

Now you make us sound warm here in Minneapolis. It was only -16F (-26C) this morning with a slight breeze. Brrr! I broke out the felted mittens for the trip to work.

Ninne - Kathleen was around -31C this morning.

Hobbygåsa said...

Here is an other Norwegian... I remember we tried this the winter 2000. We had - 35 degrees celcius and yet we could not manage to get the icecrystals. But in the North of Norway they managed, with -45 degrees celcius... Brrrr. Have a nice week!

Anonymous said...

I live in western Michigan and we seem to have non-stop snow fall this year. I drove around by the Lake today, Lake Michigan, and it was white for as far out as I could see. It hasn't been like that in years. Bummer about the not being able to do the water thing.

jody said...

oh my goodness, that is CRAZY COLD! I was complaining about it being 30 today-and SOOOO sindy!!-but I guess it could be far worse. Atleast it is good reason to knit lots of stuff, right??? stay warm!!

jody said...

that was SOOO windy, not sindy :) and I live in Virginia, btw

ellemenope said...

And here's how dumb I am. I went for a run this morning. 5 miles. And my face had ice crusted all over it when I got back.

And even dumber was that when I was done with the run I was all in a great mood. Like I had accomplished something huge.

I don't think it was quite that cold here in West River, but it was close!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathleen I put your review up today - also we are nice & toasty warm down here in the Southern Hemisphere ;)

Kathleen Taylor said...

Val, I tried to e-mail you but the message bounced. Thanks for the wonderful review!