Monday, September 28, 2009

All Day Fair Isle Class results, and now that it's getting chilly in the mornings


Lookie here! Martha finished her hat from the All Day Fair Isle class that I taught at NCFF. Didn't it turn out beautifully? She and her sister Molly opted to knit the adult size hat, rather than the toddler size. I am so proud!

And since I need an Adult Size hat to show the class at SAFF (the first chart I tried needed adjusting- it was too long, and this is not a hat where the brim can be rolled up, so I had to revise it before the class and didn't have time to knit another sample). I'm using leftover yarn from the The Big Book of Socks (Jarbo Garn Raggi, and some Knit Picks Wool of the Andes worsted). I love the effect with self striping and patterning yarns in Fair Isle, but I also love the 2-color look of traditional Norwegian knitting. Plus, I got really tired of using the same striping yarn for all my class samples (I think I've knit 5 hats that look pretty much exactly the same, and that is easily 3 too many).

I'm nearly done with the samples for my five SAFF classes (I need to finish this hat and cast on the one we'll knit together in the class)(which is full, btw). All of my handouts and workshop supplies are heading to NC even as I type (via the PO). I just have to put together the *Writing Patterns for Publication* talk/handout, and I'll be ready for SAFF. Wahoo!

When I was at the Sock Summit, I took a podcasting class from Heather Ordover, of Craft Lit . I still haven't tried my own audio recordings for the blog, but now that it's getting chilly (and the fall winds have come up), I've been using the treadmill in the basement more often. I don't listen to my Zune when I run out on the highway because of that it's really more important to hear the oncoming traffic than it is to listen to music or books thing, but when I'm in the house, I'm not so apt to be run over by a text-driving trucker.
I subscribed to Craft Lit, and have downloaded a couple of the recent podcasts, which brought me in toward the end of a reading of The Scarlet Letter (note: that link contains major spoilers). It's really interesting to hear Heather's take on Arthur Dimmsdale. It's been awhile since I read the book, but I doubt I'd change my opinion of him as the worst sort of hypocrite (of which we have many examples today, many in exactly the same position as Arthur). Heather views him with some (though not a whole lot) of sympathy, whereas I see him as a worm.  She's nearly done with this book, and I don't think I'll go back and listen to the previous chapters, but I will continue on with whatever book she chooses to read and discuss next.

In the meantime, I've started listening to Wilkie Collin's The Woman in White (link contains some spoilers), via my old friend, Librivox. I am not as partial to TWiW as I am to The Moonstone, but I am enjoying it. So far, the reader is excellent, and it surely makes that hour on the treadmill go by faster.

4 comments:

Mary Keenan said...

Martha's hat is a thing of beauty! I really, really love the shading effect as the background colour shifts in these fair isle patterns...

mrae said...

Martha's hat is very Pretty. Way to go Martha!

grandma13 said...

where or when can we get that pattern for the hat --it is awesome - or do I have to take the class??

Sherri said...

That hat is beautiful!!! What pattern is it?