Sunday, February 2, 2014

More Tahkli Spinning

I'm getting the hang of spinning cotton with the little tahkli spindle (btw, which is the correct spelling? I see it several ways: tahkli, takhli, takli). I like being able to sit back in my chair to spin it (no sore back), and the yardage grows pretty quickly. I can spin and ply about 80 yards in a single evening (plying with a commercial cotton/wool), which is not a whole lot slower than with the wheel.



My singles are becoming more consistent, though there are still some slubs.


This is about 180 yards of spindle spun, 2-ply cotton and cotton/wool. All natural colors.


32 yds of white (from a cotton boll and some I had already hand carded, which means more even more slubs, but still cool), 110 yds of light brown and white mottled, and 38 yards of brown and white. If I spin another 180 yards or so, I'll have enough for a Hitchhiker shawl.


I'm not just using the tahkli- these other yarns were spun with my new painted spindle. 61 yds of orange wool/bamboo, 22 yds of blue Merino, 54 yds of gray, and 46 yds of angora rabbit plied with cotton/wool. These may end up as socks, when I get enough of the orange spun.

I wasn't able to spin the angora on the tahkli the first time I tried, but I'm more comfortable with it now, so I'll give it another shot. I think I'll also have The Hub take a little video of me spinning with it- not as a tutorial, just to show how I've been doing it. I think I'm holding the spindle differently than others do, but I'm happy with the outcome, so it's all good.

1 comment:

RKHageman said...

Hello! It’s great to see your work with the takli!

And “takli” (no h), by the way, is the original spelling. Articles and material written in English,, in India, never spell it with an H. Moreover, older articles in Spin-Off also spell it “takli”, just as Gandhi did. Where the inserted H came from, I have no idea.

It almost to me seems as though we are trying to tell India they don’t know how to spell their own equipment...