Sunday, September 13, 2009

Cemetary Walk

I'm not sure why, but this morning we decided to walk through the cemetary. It's not far from our house, but it has been years since we wandered among the headstones. In the newest portion, the markers are set flush with the ground (and there are many more familiar names than the last time we walked through).

But the oldest part, the early cemetary, the area that was used even before the town got itself organized, has some wonderful old headstones and markers.
The Andersens had their own little section.
The Coolidges did too. There are no more Coolidges here, but I knew the last surviving member of that family. She was a wonderful woman.
Robert Flemming fought in the Spanish American War.
Bertha Fogleson died at age 24 years, 1 month and 3 days.
Not everyone could afford a personalized marker.
There are so many headstones for little ones, who only lived for a year or two. But Issac D. Foote, with the earliest birth date we could find, made it 89 years- a goodly amount of time, in any century.

6 comments:

Maria Lima said...

Oh, I adore walking through old cemeteries and reading the markers. Gives a sense of who we (as people) were.

Thanks for the pics!

Anonymous said...

I also enjoy walking through cemeteries and like you I now find many I knew well plus of course dear parents and grandparents. Most cemeteries are beautiful places.

Chris said...

Thank you for a wonderful post. I love cemetaries. I always have a serene feeling when I stroll through, looking at history. I look for graves marked with my birth date. Someone who was born or died on that date. It makes me connected to that person.

Stacy Kraus McDonald said...

I love cemeteries.... great history.

Mariah said...

When I visit a new town the cemetery is one of the first places I visit -- you get a great sense of history and an idea of where the community has come from.

Geek Knitter said...

I love cemeteries too. They always make me want to go digging through archives and writing social histories.