Saturday, June 9, 2012

Video

It looks like my Achilles tendon *thing* is maybe never going to go away enough so that I can run again, which makes me sad. But I can walk on the treadmill (which is not the same as running, no matter what they try to tell you. Ask my jeans that don't fit any more if you don't believe me). At least I can watch streaming video on my Kindle while on the treadmill. I love my Kindle.
The last time I talked about videos, I had just started watching Season 1 of The Game of Thrones, and I was enthralled. I finished watching the season every bit as enthralled as I was at the beginning. This is absolutely the best book-to-film adaptation that I have ever seen. It's amazing and powerful, and a damn good story. And though I won't spoil things for the two people in the world who don't know what happens, I will say that I had read the books, and I also read detailed recaps of the episodes, so I knew what was coming, and yet I still spent Episode 10 sobbing on the treadmill. Gasping, and sweating, and crying like a baby. We don't have HBO, so I have to wait until next year to see Season 2, but I understand that it's every bit as good.


After I finished GoT, I rooted around for something to take my mind out of Westeros, and stumbled (about 12 years after the fact) on Firefly, the cult SF show that was cruelly cancelled after just one season. I knew absolutely nothing about it, except that fans were unhappy with the cancellation, and that it was a Space Western. I was hooked from the first episode. For the two people who haven't heard of it- a band of misfits roam around space, smuggling goods and avoiding the authorities, having shoot-ups, and in general, being smart-ass and really gorgeous throughout. Also, there is Nathan Fillion's bare butt. What else do I need to say? Except that I was also sad that there was only one season, though the movie (filmed several years later) did tie up a lot of loose ends. Again, I spent a fair portion of the last part of the movie crying. Sweating and crying. Go figure.


Next up, I looked for a series that lasted longer than a single season. I settled on Roswell.  For the two people who haven't watched it, the premise revolves around three teenagers who are actual aliens. Who go to high school. In Roswell, NM. Where the Flying Saucer Fanatics congregate. It's a fun notion, but after three episodes, I realized that the show just didn't grab me, so I moved on to...


This will keep me occupied for, oh, say, the better part of a year.... And man, that Mulder was pretty....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, I'm one of those 2 people you kept mentioning. Who is the other? I'll have to check them all out. (Though Hub did watch Firefly, so I've seen bits and pieces of it).

I'm also going to give Dr. Who a try.

Kathleen Taylor said...

Hee, Anon! Dr. Who should keep you busy for a decade or two.