Friday, June 29, 2012

Vintage Article- Stitch n Sew, Aug. 82, Craft Pattern Review


I reviewed patterns for assorted House of White Birches (and Tower Press) magazines for fourteen years total. I'm not going to post the rest of the reviews, but I thought I'd post this one for a couple of reasons.

#1. Because it has an official introduction to the the column that I wrote in this magazine, called "Craft Pattern Review", though the editor saw fit to mention my *reviews*, and I can just picture her using air-quotes. 



#2. Because the very first line of the review harkens back to a previous review, so it's obviously not my first for this magazine. Either that, or the reviews were printed out of order.

#3. Because though later on I did get patterns and kits for free, sent by manufacturers and designers specifically for reviewing, at first I had to buy all of my materials. Did I mention that my pay for each column was $50? And that's $50 total, with nothing allowed for materials, or postage, or photography (which the Hub did, and not too graciously, I might add. Seeing his name in print was never one of his ambitions, and being interrupted to take pictures was not one of his favorite pass times). Me? I was so delighted to have a regular gig, that I would probably have paid them for the privilege.

No comments: