Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Getting Caught Up, Sock of the Day, More Udolpho

It has taken me a couple of weeks, but I'm finally caught up on the paperwork (well- computer work) for the new book. I should slap myself upside the head for putting off the pattern writing and sizing until I had a whole stack of projects to deal with. I've been doing this for a long time, and I know better than that... whack.

But, I'm caught up now, at least for the projects that are done, and patterns are written for those projects that are currently going to other knitters. Tomorrow, there may be more, but for today- I'm done. Which means it's time to hit the needles. And some DVD's for entertainment- I have the Joss Stone Tudor Years to watch (historically speaking, Henry was a fool for not seeing that Anne of Cleves would have been a sturdy bearer of children, even if she did smell), and more discs of Harper's Island, which is pure fluff, but enjoyable.

It's only 4 degrees out there, but my tootsies are nice and warm in these Socks of the Day. Every book has a few projects that don't make the cut, and this yarn ended up being not quite right for Yarns to Dye For, which is okay since I've worn these socks for several years now. This yarn is superwash, but I can't remember if it's Henry's Attic, Mission Falls, or Brown Sheep. I do know that it's superwash (nicely so- these have been machine washed and dried repeatedly), and that it took the dye well (this was one of those 40' skeins).

I have had to repair the heel, but that's not unusual for 5 year old socks. And they pill a bit (I think there's some Mohair in there), but otherwise, they still look pretty good.

So, finally we're getting to something interesting in audio version of  The Mysteries of Udolpho- a selfish (and maybe cruel) Auntie has shown up, and she may well make poor, orhpaned, in-love Emily's life unbearable.

It's interesting to listen to the different readers pronounce things- I've heard Emily's last name said: San Oh-BEAR, Sant Oh-BEAR, Sanober, and Saint AW-bert. And one reader thinks that the leader of a team of mules is a mullah-teer.

But the 1500's French scenery sure is purty.(Side note: I don't ever get the sense that this story is set in the 1500's even though it's supposed to be- it feels and sounds exactly like the Austen and Bronte settings to me).

No comments: