Sunday, July 18, 2010

Dolly 'n Me, stash spinning

I spent a lot of time indoors yesterday- it was a purely miserable day, with the heat index topping 102 and a blast furnace wind. Luckily, I had some fabric calling me, and the sewing machine was handy.

The Dolly 'n Me child/doll apron set turned out very well (it still tickles me no end that I designed the fabric itself, and that I used a vector-based program to do the drawing). I'm really glad that I lined the apron-I don't think that the quilting weight cotton is heavy enough to make a good working apron by itself, which I want this to be. I had a hard time turning the doll apron ties, so I had to take the stitching out and do the fold/press/sew thing from the outside, which was a pain (I can usually turn narrow tubes with no trouble, I don't know what the problem was with this fabric).
Unfortunately, the sample doll apron is far too short. So I ammended the Spoonflower file by lengthening it by about 1" (which is all the room I had to work with). I also added instructions for lining both aprons (which I do recommend). Anyone who orders the fabric will get the ammended design with the longer doll apron and the lining instructions. The sample doll apron will fit fine on a smaller doll.

Finished Lined Child Apron Stats (after shrinkage):
25 3/4" wide, 20 1/2" long, 22" ties, 7 1/2" x 6 1/2" pocket. I estimate that it will fit ages 2/5

Finished Lined Doll Apron Stats (after shrinkage, with the new file dimensions taken into consideration)(this is not the length shown above):
8 3/4" wide, 5 3/4" long, 9" ties, 2 3/4" x 2" pocket. The apron will fit 18" dolls, and smaller (and many Teddy Bears).

The fabric is available from Spoonflower- my designer name is Gramma K

I finished spinning the charcoal romney lamb and it turned out beautifully- so soft. The yarn is darker than what shows in the pic, but you can see the bits of red and other color highlights. The final skein was 109 yards and 2.8 ozs. Total on the Romney Lamb: 366 yds of 2-ply yarn, 8.6 ozs

I started spinning what's left of the silver Romney (also from Iron Water Ranch). I have a lot of this roving, so I'll be at it for awhile, but I'm making headway on the Stashbusting Vow. I think I'll knit myself a plain, striped sweater from all of this yarn (plain in that it won't have cables or fair isle).

It's both cooler and drier today, and the wind isn't hot, so I may not be inside quite so much, but I hope to do more sewing and spinning. We'll see how that goes.


No comments: