Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Bits and pieces

Mostly non-related pictures and comments.
 I finished knitting the socks from the sock blank that I dyed in class at the Fibre Fallout in New Jersey. I love love love how they came out, and I doubt I'll be able to resist wearing them (usually, I save class samples for the next class... as, you know... samples). These are just too cool not to show off next week at SAFF.
I finished the water on the current needlepoint project, and learned to my dismay, that 20 year old DMC floss #415 is not the same shade as new DMC floss #415. I don't know if the floss darkened in storage (in a plastic tub, wrapped around a cardboard bobbin), or if the shades really are different, or (most likely) if I wrote the wrong number down on the bobbin. In any case, I used at least seven different grays in the water, so it doesn't matter a whole lot in the long run. I just have the sky left, which will be slightly darker than the water, and will fade to a purpley gray (all new floss, so I don't have to worry about shade differences).
Our leaves are gone now, but they sure were purty while they lasted. I have a feeling that the Asheville leaves will be gone by the time I get there too. Oh well, there is so much more to see and do than leaf peeping, so I'm not too distressed about it.

Speaking of SAFF, most of my classes still have some openings and it's not too late to sign up. There's a link to the left of this page.

These are the other yarns I dyed in the New Jersey classes. The two at the bottom are the same dye lot (graduated color band), just wound from opposite ends of the skein. The other ball will knit up in spiral stripes. I'm excited to knit them too.
 The corn harvest is in full swing here.
That's a whole lotta corn on the ground (and it's on the ground because the elevators are all full).
I just like the look of this corn fountain.

And finally, there was a moose spotted just outside my town. For the record, moose do not live in South Dakota, at least not in my part of the state. But by cracky, one passed through.
See? Proof.

2 comments:

Mary Keenan said...

LOVE the socks. Definitely, you have to show those off!!

GardenOfDaisies said...

OH my, that is a whole lotta corn! It looks like you may have moose living in your state very soon, my friend. :-) Your dyed wools are gorgeous. those autumn leaves are so fleeting... they get to just the right color and then the next morning they are all on the ground. You gotta be quick to catch them. (I totally missed a picture of the maple tree I wanted to take a picture of.)