Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Fantasy Fiber Arts/Knitting Cruise!

I mentioned a couple of days ago, that The Fantasy Fiber Arts/Knitting Cruise is a go! I'll be there, teaching knitting classes, sipping tropical drinks with umbrellas and fruit, swimming in the pool, and visiting ports of call. I'm unbelievably excited- this will not only be my first cruise (outside of ferry rides to Victoria, and across the Puget Sound and Lake Michigan- none of which lasted more than 4 or 5 hours one way), but it'll be my first trip to outside of the US (except for a few forays into Canada). I got my passport application filed today, and I'm starting to put together my workshops, all three of which will be brand new and exclusive to the Cruise.

Here's the cruise flyer- embiggen for the details (there's a link to the right of this page too). The boat leaves (what's the official seafaring word: departs?) Charleston, SC on 7/26/13 and will return on 7/31/13, with stops in Freeport and Nassau, The Bahamas. People who sign up will be able to choose from two days worth of classes (included in the cruise fee, though class supplies are separate), and the rest of the cruise will be for playing!

My roomie will be my friend DeeAnn, and we'll be traveling with fellow High School Besties, Kris and Jane. I cannot wait.

I will be teaching a Mystery Fair Isle Fingerless Mitten class, with all yarns and notions and pattern provided (for the supplies fee), a Mystery Beaded Lace Fingerless Mitten class, with all yarns, beads and pattern provided (for the supplies fee), and a variation of my Eek, a Steek! Class where students will turn a pre-knit tube into a doll sweater and learn all about steeking at the same time (pre-knit tube, yarn, notions, and pattern provided (for the supplies fee). The two Mystery classes will feature original patterns suitable for any knitter who can knit and purl in the round (no Fair Isle or Lace knitting experience needed)- those designs will be exclusive to the cruise and will not be offered or taught elsewhere in 2013. The Steeking class is appropriate for any knitter who can knit and purl straight, and in the round. Wine is not necessary, though since it's a cruise, I'm not entirely ruling it out.

You can read about my classes, and the others being offered (the roster is not set in stone yet- more classes by other teachers may be added later) here. There are classes for all levels of Fiber Arts Expertise in many disciplines: spinning, weaving, knitting, crocheting, and dyeing,

Registration for the cruise and classes is now open- check it out. I think it's going to be a Blast!

2 comments:

Lynne Phelps said...

My Dad was in the navy, and I can just hear him barking out "Ships carry boats!" Your ship "sets sail" or leaves port, even though there are no sails. I think embark and disembark is what you, the passenger, do when you board or depart the ship.
You are going to have such a blast!

Kathleen Taylor said...

Thanks- I'm going to have to learn all of the lingo!