Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Tardy Report- Part 3 Glass Houses

On Saturday evening, after the signing at Prairie Yarns, we visited the studio of glass blower, Jon Offutt, who was participating in the 2009 Studio Crawl (yeah, I know it's over, but I'm sure the artists would appreciate your business next week too). During the weekend, Jon gave demonstrations of glass blowing to enthralled crowds at his personal studio. And enthralled we were- watching this artist shape and form glass was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen (I've done some very amateur lampwork, but nothing like this). I could have watched him make pumpkins and gourds and bowls all day. It didn't feel right to take pictures as he worked, so I left the camera in the car, but you can see from his publicity handouts, what beautiful work he does.


Throughout the grounds at his studio/house, were treasures delightfully half-hidden: vases in the garden, glass pumpkins and gourds scattered among real growing pumpkins, buckets and barrels and tables full of unique pieces, all for sale.


We bought a few. And then we went back on Sunday, and watched some more, and bought even more. I'm not going to show you all of our purchases, because some are gifts, and some of the giftees are also blog readers- but I'm keeping these two:




Beautiful, no?

Our niece knows Jon personally, and we were lucky enough to talk to him after his demonstration. He's a charming and friendly man, and a marvelous artist, and I'm so glad we got to see him at work.

Back to more mundane, and far less fiery, pursuits, I finished the Mochi Plus socks, and while Anne, from Prairie Yarns, was absolutely correct that the yarn is joyfully unrepeating, I was still able, using three balls and some judicious cutting and snipping, to get a pair of socks that are not quite identical, and yet more alike than fraternal.


I will use this yarn again, happily.


And I finished the Merino ArtYarn socks for my friend in Australia. They're just coming into Spring and Summer, so she's not going to need these for awhile. But they're done, and they'll be winging their way to Oz soon.

Tomorrow- back to regular postings, at least until I leave for North Carolina. In two weeks!

4 comments:

dawn draper said...

I gasped when I saw those glass gourds and pumpkins. Gorgeous! It's a good thing I'm thousands of miles away, or I'd have a car full of them.

I have serious sock envy, too. Those artyarns socks are beautiful.

Unknown said...

Hello! I am Inés from Abuelita Yarns Company. I loved all of what you have posted!!Very sweet. The socks looked great!
We are a uruguaian brand which sells yarns. If you want to know more about us please enter www.abuelitayarns.com or if you wish to see our articles and pictures enter www.abuelitayarns.com/blog/
Good luck! :D

Unknown said...

Hey - Thanks so much for writing about the Studio Crawl! Glad you had a great time - I got to Jon's Sunday evening, and I can tell you, he doesn't mind photos of his process at all - I videotaped it! :) Would you mind if I pulled a quote or two from your post and put it on the FMVA's website? I'll give you credit and a link back to your blog, of course. ~Cas

Kathleen Taylor said...

Cas- absolutely! That would be great. Thanks.