Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Underwhelmed

Remember the soft and beautiful fiber batt that I bought from Connie Wagenaar Henning at NCFF? The gorgeous natural dark wool with blue, yellow and pink sandwiched inside?

Which spun up nicely into randomly colored singles?

Well, I have been eyeing Amy Clarke Moore's Child Size Mitered Sweater, from All New Homespun Handknit, and thinking that the yarn from that batt would be lovely in mitered squares.

So, I dug out a cone of Harrisville wool single, and plied the two full bobbins I've already spun from the fiber, figuring that I could double the amount of yarn from the original 9 ozs that way.

It was a good notion, and I got  a total of 304 yards in 5.6 ozs (with a lot more left to spin- I need about 900 yds total). But this is what happened:


And it's not any prettier on close up:


Pretty blah, no?

I am sincerely hoping that this is one of those yarns whose true beauty doesn't appear until it's knit up. Surely, the color changes (brown, yellow, pink, blue- all with tweedy gray) will show to good effect in mitered squares. Right? It'll look like random squares. Right? It won't be a sweater that no child would be caught wearing voluntarily? Please?

4 comments:

Ruth said...

You can always overdye it.

#4 said...

Just add great coordinating colored turtleneck and pants(or skirt...) and it will be beautiful...

Rows Red said...

Mm. I think if it were plied with a dark brown single it would tie in the high contrast brown and pastels with each other. That's a tough one though... there's just so much contrast in there and it makes for a jumbled visual experience.

I'm with Ruth, overdye it! Overdyeing is magical, many a humdrum project has been saved that way.

A-May said...

I'm actually with Rows Red...it might be too late, but I think plying with a medium to dark brown would give you a yarn with beautifully subtle color changes. The culprit right now is that the high contrast between the white single and the batt single is overwhelming the colors in the batt.