Monday, November 2, 2009

Every Day Stuff

I've noticed that when I go on knitting trips, I do very little knitting, but now that I'm back home, I'm back to the needles.


This yarn is Knit One Crochet Too's Ty-Dy Socks. They're for my friend Dee in North Carolina, who wasn't able to meet us there, but who sent the most wonderful NC Gift Box. Ever. This pattern is super simple: K 4 rnds, Next Rnd: *K 2 tog, YO*, rep around. It makes a nice texture without fighting with the cool color changes. I think she'll like the socks.


I read the 4th Percy Jackson book, The Battle of the Labyrinth, on the plane (I was just plain... heh... too tired to knit- that's some kinda tired), and enjoyed it as much as the first 3 books in the series. I just have The Last Olympian to go, but I'll wait until it comes out in pb, since I have the first 4 in that format.


As I rested after my trip (and watched carefully to see if I was going to get the flu, since I was pretty thoroughly exposed in NC) (it's been 7 days with no illness, I think I'm home free), I also read Dean Koontz's Your Heart Belongs to Me. On the Odd Thomas Scale of Greatness, it's about a 5. Good enough, but not amazing. Koontz is as predictible as John Irving as far as peripheral details go- only his bears are dogs, and his small dead boys are the mentally handicapped. This doesn't spoil my enjoyment of his books (the way that the small dead boys turned me off of Irving), I just never quite forget that I'm reading because part of my brain is anxiously waiting for those elements to show up in the story.


And I watched the theatrical version of The Other Boleyn Girl, with Scarlett Johansson and Natalie Portman as Mary and Anne Boleyn. It was pretty to look at, but I've come to the conclusion that this particular story can't be satisfactorily condensed into two hours. Henry was given no rational motivation for either falling in love with, or suddenly out of (before the coronation in this version) with Anne. There was no sense that he was the king, or even that he had a personality. I'm glad I saw it, but won't feel the need to see it again.


And just in case you didn't know already, our sunrises are every bit as pretty as our sunsets.





See? Told ya so.

2 comments:

Knitnik said...

That's a great pattern for the Ty-Dy socks. I'm using some right now in just plain stockinette, and I don't love it, but my sister (the future owner) does. I'll have to remember that for future use!

It was cool to see your take on NC - we live in central NC but spend as much time as possible in the western NC mountains. We passed through Asheville last weekend but couldn't make it to SAFF - one day I will!

Elizabeth D said...

that's going to be a useful sock pattern -- thanks! What's the safety pin marking?

--Elizabeth D