Tuesday, February 1, 2011

And buttered scones for tea...

I don't know why I've been thinking about scones lately. The only time I ever eat one is when I'm in an airport (Oatmeal Cinnamon with Maple Glaze at Caribou Coffee), or Starbucks  (the mini glazed scones). I'd never had a fresh one, or one even slightly warm. And I've never made them. Ever.

And yet, I saw a recipe somewhere online, and the notion struck. Of course, I couldn't find that recipe again, but I did find another one that just happened to call for ingredients that I have here (including, if you can believe it, frozen unsalted butter). I sat on my hands for two days, but this morning, I succumbed.

 may I just say: omigod!

So fresh from the oven that the glaze drips are bubbling on the pizza stone. And since I'd never eaten an hot scone before, I had no idea that you could taste the melted butter throughout. again: omigod

I jockeyed with the recipe a bit (including adding the cranberries and chips), so here's my version. I'm not doing the calcualting- trust me, it's high carb, high calorie, high fat, and oh so yummy.

Cranberry White Chocolate Chip Scones with Orange Glaze

Preheat oven to 400 degrees, spray pan with Pam

In a small bowl mix:

2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup white chocolate chips

Into the small bowl grate (on the largest hole of your cheese grater):
8 tbsp frozen unsalted butter

With your hands, lightly mix butter into dry ingredients. Do not overmix

In a small bowl whisk:

1/2 cup sour cream (I used light sour cream because that's what I had on hand)
1 large egg

Pour egg/sour cream mixture into dry ingredients. With a fork mix lightly. Mixture will be very crumbly. Turn out and lightly squeeze together with your hands to form a rough ball (do not knead)- mix only until ball holds together.

Transfer ball to pan (or pizza stone). Press lightly into about a 9" circle. Cut into wedges. If desired, sprinkle with a bit of sugar.

Bake 15-17 minutes, or until edges are brown

Drizzle with Glaze

Orange Glaze:

1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp orange flavoring (or orange zest if you have it)
enough water to make the above a nice consistency (add more water or sugar as needed).

Drizzle over hot scones.

2 comments:

joannamauselina said...

Mmmmmm! Those sound très yummy! I'm on my first cup of tea now. Maybe to go along with the third. (Couldn't pull myself together before the second.)

Unknown said...

You're making me drool! I have to make these. Received your fair isle book last week and just have to say it is beautiful! I WILL get my nerve up to steek.