Friday, November 2, 2007

An Extra Freebie- Elephant Tam


Someone on Ravelry expressed the desire for an Elephant Tam- I remembered that I'd seen an elephant chart (adapted from a 1920 Filet Crochet design), and I sort of plugged it into my worsted-weight tam pattern. I haven't knit this, so I don't know if it works as well *in real life* as it looks on paper, but I suspect it'll be fine. Use worsted weight yarn and size 6 needles for an adult size. For a child Size, drop down to Size 5 needles and cut about 8 rnds from Chart 1 (the checkerboard stuff). You can embroider the details after knitting the hat. Use whatever background colors you like (for that matter, make pink elephants if that pleases you too).
P.S. There are going to be areas of long floats in this design- be sure to catch the unused yarn every 5th stitch or so.
As always, click on the image to enlarge, and right click to save.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this! I'm going to have a go at it and will let you see the results.

Marji said...

oh fabulous! Thank you. I've been watching some of my friends knit up elephants using A Starmores pattern, which I don't own, and have been jealous. I don't know about elephants on a tam, but these guys will find their way to some mittens soon.

Kathleen Taylor said...

Thanks sarah-hope and marji- these elephants were fun to chart, and I think they'll work on a tam. And I'm pretty certain that they'll work on mittens too. I hope you both will send jpgs of your finished projects so I can post them.