Sunday, October 10, 2010

Cushy Job

I finished hooking the seat cushion cover with handspun yarns last night.
The finished piece weighed 14.8 ozs, which means that there's about 3/4 lb of handspun yarn in this thing.

My grandma always said that the back of an embroidery should look as neat as the front. This doesn't quite qualify, but I think she might have been pleased anyway.

I had planned to sew the top to a backing and make a removable cover for the commercial chair cushion (which, itself, has a removable cover). But I realized that the commercial cover has one of those non-slip bottoms, which are really handy for use on metal folding chairs, which are a staple of fiber festivals and workshops. So I saved myself a step and trimmed the excess Monk's Cloth about 2" from the hooked design, folded the margin under, and then just hand stitched it to the piping around the ready-made cushion. I had to pull the hooking out of the sharp bottom corners because the cushion is more rounded, but otherwise, the new top fit just fine.

Ta Da!

It looks good, and better yet- it's comfy.

And what's more, I think I'll make another. I have plenty of odds and ends of handspun yarn on hand (and know where I can get more in the unlikely event that I run out). I need to order some more Monk's Cloth, and start thinking about the next design.

Too bad this won't fit in my carry-on. It would be perfect for SAFF.

p.s. The wonky window on the yellow house still bugs me.

7 comments:

quiltcontemplation blogspot said...

Looks great. Love the design and colors. Nice work!

gail said...

I loved watching your progress on this cushion right to the end Kathleen. You did an awesome job. Your many talents constantly amaze me and that you can find the time to blog about them so clearly. I look forward to reading your blog every day.

Mary Keenan said...

I want to hug those sheep :^)

Anonymous said...

Why put it in your carryon? take it along and sit on it as you go. It's lovely!

queenmaxine
www.knittingbuddha.com
(log-in is not cooperating)

joannamauselina said...

Ir's turned out fabulously!

NessaKnits said...

That is so sew beautiful.

Trish said...

That is the cutest thing EVER!! Love it!