Sunday, January 25, 2009

more of the same, unfortunately for you all











Unfortunately for Blog Readers, I have not yet grown tired of making doll clothes on weekends and evenings, so here are some more.




Another cardigan (same pattern as before, same yarn line as the first blue tweedy sweater- I'm out of those leftovers now), an adorable little pink camo outfit with turtleneck, tights, and jumper (turtleneck and tights from the Halloween Costume pattern, jumper from the furniture book)(and I thought I found a mistake in the jumper pattern, but it turns out I was reading the pattern wrongly. Evidently, I forgot how to sew on the same day that I forgot how to knit socks), and a peasant blouse, shorts and capri pants set (also from the furniture book). I went so far as to buy myself an 18" doll in order to have one here to measure/test the fit of the new outfits (and for The Grands to play with when they're here). I'm knitting a stocking cap for the doll now, which is my own design, and I plan to knit mittens as well. If they turn out, I'll post the pattern for the two grandmas reading who might be interested. I have an old pair of Sponge Bob jammies (don't ask) that I am not wearing any more- I think I'll cut them up and make SB jammies for all of the dolls too.

Sorry I'm so boring these days. I'm sure I'll get tired of this stuff soon, and get back to more interesting projects.

P.S. The girls loved, and I do mean with all their 7 and 9 year old hearts, the little patterned backpacks and ponchos. In thanks, they made me a most wonderful glittery valentine heart garland for my office railing (of course, they made and assembled it here, with all of the attendant mess and glitter everywhere, but it's the thought that counts. And the adorable garland).

7 comments:

joannamauselina said...

I seem to have missed the last couple of days. So... the backpacks are amazing. I love sewing doll clothes. Bad taste is acceptable, there is quick (relatively) gratification, and you can be as far out as you want to be. And the recipients are nearly always happy. This is not true of many other creations.

Stacy Kraus McDonald said...

I think the doll clothes are too cute. Although, I'm even more intrigued by the Sponge Bob pjs!

Ruth said...

I, for one, am still really enjoying all the doll clothing. Keep it up! (I also enjoy all the AI reviews--and, of course, the knitting content which is how I found your blog in the first place.)

JackieLemon said...

I am so jealous!! I learned to knit (60 years ago) by making clothes for my dolls. I had 3 daughters, 2 of whom loved Barbie and I made a toy box full of clothes both knitted and sewn for them. I now have 4 granddaughters, none of whom like to dress up dolls. The three year may be my last chance. So I have seriously been thinking of getting an 18 inch doll of my very own to play with and your beautiful creations have pushed me to really do it. I love the backpacks. Actually everything was wonderful.

Karen said...

I do believe this makes you the Best Gramma Ever! I hope your grandkids appreciate what a treasure they have. Beautiful stuff, Kathi, and I'm not tired of it one iota.

Kathleen Taylor said...

Thanks everyone- I don't usually feel odd about my various obsessions, but for some reason, I feel the need to apologize for making doll clothes, even though I'm having a marvelous time with them. They are such fun.

And the Sponge Bob Jammies... well, they're Spoonge Bob jammies, and they're too big now, but the fabric is fine, and the girls will love doll jammies made from them.

LizzieHelen said...

I'm enjoying the doll clothes. I went through a Barbie clothes phase a few years ago and had to find a Barbie to try the clothes on. I had found Nicky Epstein's Knits for Barbie Doll and Barbie Doll and Me. I think I finally found an old, one-legged, shorn-hair one (abandoned for years). Since then, I've accumulated a whole bunch, including a Ken and a Skipper--mostly from garage sales. Sadly, the older granddaughters are beyond dolls, and the younger ones are not at that stage yet. Hmmm, maybe I can get a jump on their potentially burgeoning interest... Or, at least make stuff for the currently "nekkid" ones I have lying around (Ken's silver outfit disintegrated).