Tuesday, January 13, 2009

... today the minutes seem like hours, the hours go so slowly...











... tonight, tonight....








A normal person would be deeply embarrassed to be so very excited about the season premiere of our nation's cheesiest screamfest. But I'm not normal, and I have no shame. From the first episode (which we watched only because nothing else was on that night), I was hooked. And hooked, I remain. And hopeful that this season, I'll find another The One.

Season 1 was enjoyable, though I didn't love any of the kids in particular, beyond being amazed at Kelly's talent (and I'm too old to actually enjoy any of her subsequent work). My first The One was Clay Aiken, with whom I was enchanted from the first notes of his audition (though I have never, ever called myself a Claymate. So I guess I do have a shred of dignity left). And in fact, Season 2 had the trifecta of talent for me, as I was almost equally enthralled with Ruben and Kimberley Locke too (and to a lesser extent, Frenchie Davis, though she has since annoyed the bejabbers out of me). Season 3 was a near-total bust, coming off that Aiken High, I guess. I had a soft spot for LaToya London and George Huff. I liked Jennifer Hudson, but thought she was a bit shouty. (she has since shown me what's what). Season 4 was better, though my favorite that year, Scott Savol (yeah, I know- but he could sing), did about as well as I expected him to. Season 5's Taylor Hicks was another One for me- again hooking me from his audition. I dialed my idiot fingers off for him every week. I was beyond thrilled that he won, and despite his less than stellar sales (none of the winners can compete with Carrie Underwood anyway, not even Kelly), I think he got what he wanted and needed from the show: the ability to earn a living as a working musician. Having seen him in concert, I can say that he puts on a fantastic show. Season 6 was blah- unlike much of the country, I saw no talent in Blake Lewis or Chris Richardson, and the show's relentless favoring of Jordin Sparks dissipated most of my good feeling for her, especially given the superior talent of Melinda Doolittle (and LaKisha Jones, who was spotty in performance but amazing when she was on) (and if there is any doubt as to Melinda's ability to sell a song- give this a listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afZLS6ZhPtQ ). It took me most of last season to warm to David Cook, but he's doing pretty well. Young Master Archuletta may grow up to be an artist, given a chance to stretch his wings. My own fave, Jason Castro, will likely spend his future in a good natured haze of smoke.

So this year is a blank slate- how long before Paula unravels? How nasty will Simon be? Will he and Ryan continue their super secret romance? How many seconds into the show will it be before Randy says *dawg*? And the singers- I cringe for the bad ones, and cheer for the good. And always, I watch for The One. It's been 2 seasons-well past time for me to go totally bonkers over a reality show contestant again. For those who are new to the blog, here's what's going to happen between now and May: I'll still talk about knitting, and books, and music, and whatever else occurs to me. And I'll post paper dolls on Thursdays (until I run out, which may happen fairly soon), and I'll post Freebie Friday patterns when I have them to post. But Tuesday and Wednesday nights will be owned by American Idol, from the beginning to the bitter (or triumphant) end. You have been forwarned…

1 comment:

Charles said...

One reason your on my blog reader,

Your American Idol review!

Glad to finally see the new season.