Friday, June 26, 2009

The Marvels of Modern Technology




This is something of a test run. I’m writing and posting from my new mini computer. I’m going to be traveling a bit this year (vacation to the west coast in a couple of weeks, the Sock Summit in August, and SAFF in October- and anywhere else people invite me to come and speak) (hint hint), and I plan to blog from all of those places. We have a laptop, but the notion of lugging a 17 incher on assorted planes was depressing (not to mention the fear of computers displacing flight knitting supplies…). I figured a mini computer was the perfect solution- I can post, and surf, and blog while on the road, without weighing myself down.

Isn’t this the cutest little thing ever? (it’s a Dell, 10” screen). It doesn’t have WORD, but it does have WORKS, which I am using to compose this post. It seems to work just fine (and, in fact, looks a whole lot like WORD).

Anyway, in non-computer news: look at this box of yarn. It’s Marshmallow (80% alpaca, 20% merino) from Decadent Fibers (link in Stash Enhancers on the right of the page), in a new set of colors called Nutty for Nuts. This yarn is even softer than it looks, and I just want to take a nap on it. I see a Fair Isle sweater in this yarn’s future.

And here’s Orion’s Sock- the official sock pattern of the Sock Summit (I think you can buy it even if you’re not attending). I love the pattern, and the beads. I wanted to use STR (Socks that Rock) yarns, but I only had 1 skein of lightweight on hand, and it wouldn’t play with any other yarns I tried. I cast this sock on 3 times before giving up and using Koigu. I am modifying the pattern just a bit- I’m working cuff-down, and doing a short-row heel.

Oh, I haven’t made it to the field for a soybean pic yet. I’ll remedy that in a post a little later today.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Love that sock! The colours are amazing, and the beads look totally cool.
Also, yes -- our son has a mini-laptop, and he gives it two thumbs up. Coming from a programmer, this is high praise!

Anonymous said...

I wish I could watch a video of you knitting. Your hands must WHIZ!I am amazed at the quantity of things you knit and they are all beautiful.