Saturday, October 13, 2007

Magic 28 #7, and socks for me


Not that I don't knit plenty of socks for me, but it's been awhile since I cast on a pair that was just for fun (as opposed to trying out a new pattern- my original, or someone else's- or yarn). I got this yarn from my friend Melanie for my birthday last year, and it has been rattling around in my knitting bag long enough that the bands have disappeared or disintegrated. I'm sure it's Marks Clown, with a fairly high cotton content (and wool- I know it's superwash). I love how the patterning is coming out, and I need a pair of red socks (though the actual sock is a bit pinker than my scan). My only worry is making the socks match. Since there is only one color, it's going to be hard to tell the difference between where the wide red/white band starts and where the narrower red/white band starts when I cast on the mate. I have a 50/50 chance of getting it right on the first try, and the socks will look fine even if they don't match perfectly.




I can't remember what yarn Magic 28 #7 is from- I know that the variegated is one of Dana's handpaints, but the coral is a commercial wool/mohair. I just don't know whose commercial wool/mohair (it doesn't look like a Brown Sheep color).

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I love the colors!

Anonymous said...

What kind of short row heel do you do? I always have trouble with them but Shirley showed me a pair you knit for her when she was here in Kentucky this week and they look like they might fit me.

Ellen

eefdg at yahoo dot com

Vicki said...

I've just spent a few minutes browsing your blog...it's great. I love your projects. I too knit in front of too much TV. I've knit 1 Dale of Norway with steeking. See you on Ravelry.
Vicki

Kathleen Taylor said...

Ellen, I'll post my short row heel instructions for you. I like it a lot, and it's quick to do. I do a no-wrap short row version.

Vicki- I am a TV junkie, plain and simple. I can't read while I knit, and at the moment I'd rather knit (unless by some miracle, another Harry Potter book appears... heh). But I can certainly watch TV, so that's what I do.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kathleen....where are you in South Dakota? I'm in Winner and would love to know how close you are. My name is Sandy and my e-mail is spoyld@gwtc.net in case you dont want the rest of your readers to know where you live. I found you thru a search for knitting bloggers on SD.