Sunday, October 14, 2007

No-Wrap Short-Row Heel Workshop

Please Note- Pages 3 and 4 have been revised. Photo scans will be uploaded under the November 6, 2007 entries (rather than uploading them here).






























I taught this workshop at NCFF this year. It needs a few illustrations for beginning knitters (especially when it comes to picking up stitches), but I think anyone who has already done a flap-gusset heel and wants to learn a short row heel, these instructions will help.


It's a slightly different take on the usual instructions (counting the stitches left on the needle before turning, rather than the stitches in between turns), that I think makes visualization while knitting a little easier. Let me know what you all think.




The workshop has instructions for a worsted weight sock knit with size 4 or 5 needles and 48 sts. It also has a fingering weight sock pattern, with size 2 needles and 56 sts.




I want to teach this workshop again, so if you find mistakes or confusing portions, please comment so I can fix the text. Thanks.





There are 5 pages in this workshop. Each page must be downloaded and saved separately. Click on the images to enlarge, right click to save each as a jpg. Please don't repost the pages. I'd rather you link to here.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this "workshop". I'm looking forward to trying it out.

I agree about the pink/red & white socks. They are working up beautifully. Wear them in good health. Have a great day. :)

Anonymous said...

I really appreciate your writing up this workshop. I will have to try out your No Wrap Short Row Heel on the Christmas Stockings I will be knitting next month. It will be interesting to see how they felt compared to the yarn over short rows I did last year (small holes at instep edges).

Kathleen Taylor said...

Thank you for the comments, Sandra and Pat. I think I'll do some scanning and posting of pictures of the *pick up and knit* step next week- I think that's the most confusing part of the workshop, and it's easier to follow with a picture.

And thanks for the compliment on the socks. I'm definitely keeping them.

Anonymous said...

Did I miss a post with the pick up and knit pictures? That is the only part I don't understand.

Thanks!

blissfulknitter AT gmail DOT com

Kathleen Taylor said...

No, you haven't missed the pics- I haven't done them yet. But next week should finally be free enough to get it done. I'll repost the entire thing, with pics as soon as I get the scans done. Thanks for your patience.