Friday, January 11, 2008

Freebie Friday- Part 1- Stranded Snow Mittens Child Size







I made this mismatched pair of mittens for my granddaughter in '06 (this is an old pic, but they still look pretty good, if a little worn and well-loved). This week's pattern and chart is for the Snowman mitten. Next week's will be the snowflake mitten. These mittens are the same on the front and back, so you can make a pair of either, or replicate my mis-mated pair. If you want to make them shorter, begin the top decreases a little earlier (it won't mess up the snowman heads too much). If you want to make them longer, do a few rows of the vertical striped top before beginning the decreases. If you want to make them wider, add a few stitches to either side of the chart (the same number on both sides) and do a few more increases on the thumb gusset. If you want to make them Adult size, I suspect using DK yarn and size 3 needles will do the trick.
This chart was adapted from a Seasonal Vest pattern that I did for Knit Picks. That pattern is now out of print, and the rights reverted to me.
Click on the pattern pages to enlarge, right click to save as jpgs. Print from any graphics program.

20 comments:

imightbeapryl said...

those have to be the cutest mittens ever...thanks!

vi said...

I LOVE snowmen and snow flakes
these are wonderful

now.....i have to enlarge it for ME

vi

Anonymous said...

I LOVE them!!
Thank You!!
Mona

Anonymous said...

They are darling. What a super job!

Anonymous said...

Adorable!!

Thanks so much for sharing these, and your other great patterns!

I enjoy your site, daily! The link to Olan Mills was the most hysterical thing ever, and I sat here, by myself, laughing hysterically, nonstop! So, thank you for that, too. My cat thought I'd gone mad!!

Pat said...

You are so good!! These are the cutest little mittens!

Linda said...

What a cute mitten pattern! I'm printing this out so I can make a pair for my son (slow as I am, they'll not be done until next winter, I'm sure)

I really enjoy reading your blog - and appreciate all of the free patterns you post.

Anonymous said...

Those are precious!

I wish I had a grand or two to make them for. Maybe in the near future... or not so near future. Just sometime! :-)

Thanks for doing the Friday patterns, Kathleen!

Jan said...

Kathleen! Beautiful, beautiful and FUN... Thank you as always...
Jan H (MA)

Sharon said...

These are breathtaking! I can't wait to make them. Thank you for your generosity...
Sharon

MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Painfully adorable. Must make them for me. . . Hmmm. If I leave the top open, they can be like fingerless gloves, no? And my daughter (who probably is more age-appropriate) can go get store-bought.

Thank you so very much

KarenK said...

Those mittens are adorable! You did a wonderful job on those - congratulations. Thanks so much for sharing the pattern.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much. My grandson will love these. I've been waiting for a pattern that we both would like. He loves snowmen and I love the pattern. Thanks again!

Leigh said...

These are sooooooo cute!

Lissandra Mia said...

Hey just cool love your blog site love the mittens. Finally someone from SD as well.

loveya

Anonymous said...

Those are the cutest snowmen! Thanks for posting the pattern!

Mary said...

These are so darling!! I Love them!

Helene said...

So cute I have to make a pair. Thank you!

Sandra La Knitalian said...

Kathleen, thank you so much for sharing this ADORABLE pattern with us!! I can't wait to make a pair for my Granddaughter! ♥♥♥

smellyrhinostudio said...

these are soo cute! Thanks!