Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Camels and Flowers











I finished spinning and plying the Camel/Wool blend from my friend Dana. As I spun last night, I noticed some longer, straight brown fibers in the mix, which I think are llama. And I also found some straight yellow strands that I am pretty sure are mohair. So it's actually Camel/Wool/Llama/Mohair. Whatever the composition, it's gorgeous. The 2nd skein was 1.5 ozs and 168 yds (wahoo!!!! over 100 YPO!!! Finally!!!), so I have a total of 328 yds and 3.2 ozs (the 2nd skein put me over the top on YPO for the entire project) of pretty fine yarn (maybe not officially laceweight, but it's much lighter than my usual sock yarn). That's enough for a nice lace scarf. Lately, I've been drawn to lace, so I'm going to look around for more patterns (or maybe come up with one of my own from the stitch dictionaries that I have laying around everywhere).

Next up is some hand-painted domestic wool roving (my guess: Corriedale) from A Knitting Duck (link in Stash Enhancers). This subtle colorway is called Hydrangea, and she captured the perfect blue/purple blend of those flowers. I'm spinning it pretty fine, and I have no idea what I'm going to do with it. I haven't even decided if I am going to 2 or 3 ply it, though I do know that I am not going to worry about preserving the color separation. I love the soft blending of blues, purples and greens in this roving and want the yarn to do the same.

2 comments:

Cara said...

Ooh, those are both gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

these are fabulous!

arlene,
Tacoma flowers