Friday, June 6, 2008

Doesn't Anybody Stay In One Place Any More...







(that's what happens when you spin roving called So Far Away)



So, I finished spinning and plying the So Far Away roving. This is my first time with BFL, which has long been touted as perfect sock wool. I loved spinning this roving- it was perfectly dyed, and the fiber nearly spun itself. My Navajo 3-plying is getting better, and though the yarn is (still) not 100 yds per oz, it's fairly even, and a good fingering weight for socks. I should be able to knit this up on Size 2 needles with my usual generic sock pattern (56-60 sts, 16 rnds ribbing, 6" cuff, short row heel, 6" foot, Star Toe). It should knit up in stripes of teal-y blue, yellow-y green, and butterscotch. And the 2 larger skeins should match up, stripe-wise, fairly well. The last little hank won't match the striping of the bigger ones, but it'll just be for toes if I need it.

I ended up with 3.8 ozs of yarn (started out with 4ozs- some always vanishes into the ether) and 275 yards of 3-ply yarn, which is enough for a pair of socks for me. I'll have some left over, which will go in a pile for future *crazy* socks.



The roving came from Yummy Yarns (link in Stash Enhancers), and I think she has more on hand. I am seriously eyeing her Lemongrass roving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that song!