Shhhhhh.... don't tell my editor this, but yesterday my husband and I took a short road trip, and the current sock book sock is too complicated for car knitting, and there are no uncomplicated socks left to knit for the book, and I can't be in a car without knitting... sooooooo..... I wound the Ravelry 3-ply handspun yarn (from yesterday's post) into a ball and cast on a sock for me. Not for work, not for publication (except here, which doesn't count in the publication-sense). Just for fun. For me...
Though the yarn is 21WPI, it still felt too heavy for small needles, so I cast on with Size 3 needles (54 sts, 15 rnds K3P3), and then started the cuff. I didn't get very far before I realized that the fabric was too loose. I tore it out and dropped to Size 2 (3.0 mm) needles. That's what you see in the pic. But, I think that might still be too loose. I won't tear out the ribbing, but I think I am going to rip the cuff, and drop back to 2.75 size 2's (and inc 2 sts to 56, which is the low end of my normal fingering weight sock number). Right now I'm getting 7 sts to the inch and that doesn't feel tight enough to wear well.
The yarn is knitting up in lovely narrow stripes, and it's more bouncy than I expected. The sheen is gorgeous and I love the colors. I doubt my pair will match, stripewise, because I wasn't consistent when I tore strips from the roving for spinning, but they'll match well enough to be called a pair.
Since I am not going on a road trip today, I'll stay true to the Book What Brung Me. But I hear the siren call of The Other Sock, and I am sorely tempted to cheat again.