Saturday, June 7, 2008

Healthy Recipe- Desert Gardens Dips- Chive & Garlic, Jalapeno Vegetable


This is more of a recommendation than an actual recipe, since I basically made up these dips exactly as directed on the packages, though I used Lite Sour Cream, and Lite Miracle Whip rather than Mayo (yeah, I know... abomination... but Miracle Whip is the sandwich spread of my youth and I have always preferred it to real Mayo, though most of my friends cringe at the very thought).


Anyway, I found these dip mixes at the grocery store today- both from Desert Gardens ( http://www.comfortfoods.com/products.php?brand=dg ) and decided to try a couple. I chose Chive & Garlic, and Jalapeno Vegetable, and mixed them as I mentioned above, with Lite Sour Cream and Miracle Whip, chilled for a couple of hours, and then served them (in the *good* dishes, as you can see) with a plate of fresh veggies for dipping. They were a big hit- the Chive & Garlic (the bowl to the right) was light and tasty, and the Jalapeno Vegetable (on the left) had a nice bite to it.


Of course, these dips would be great with chips (if we ate chips these days, which we don't), and I suspect they'd both be really good with smoked salmon... I wish I had some smoked salmon right now.


Serving Size: 2 tbsp

Jalapeno Vegetable: 53 calories, 2 gr carb (more calories if you use real mayo and sour cream, but the same carbs)

Chive & Garlic: 40 calories, 2 gr carb (ditto on the above parenthetical note)


Neither the veggie calories nor the carbs will add up to much, but keep the totals in mind if you're doing the diabetic thing.

No comments: