Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A New Time Zone

I am now entering Crazy Daylight Time. In the past, I was content to let my fiction come at its own pace- write a chapter, let it percolate a bit, figure out where the story went from there, take a couple more days off (or a month), and then write another chapter. That's not going to work this time around- I have 30 days to finish the first draft of the YA Fantasy I'm writing. I'll grant you that my deadline is informal, not a contractual obligation, but it's real just the same, and I'm not going to get to the end on time unless I sit down and outline the rest of the story (and even that's iffy, given that we have company coming this weekend, and Thanksgiving approaches, and Real Life is very inventive in the ways it manages to interfere with writing time).

So I'm being dragged, kicking and screaming, into something most writers do as a matter of course, which means that I won't have much brain-power left over for blogging because once I get the outline done, I still have to do the actual writing. On the other hand, maybe all I'll just use my scientifically proven psychic powers to remember the book that I have already written in the future, and just put it all down on paper again...

Since writing is my Day Job, in the evenings I'm plugging away on the Triangle KAL Shawl (I might finish the knitting tonight), and I've started a pair of socks.
This is Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks that Rock yarn, bought and wound so long ago that I have no idea what the colorway is called (though I'm certain that it's no longer available anyway, so it doesn't really matter). It's my usual generic sock pattern, with a texture (K 3 rnds, next rnd: *K 2 tog, YO*, repeat) that looks good but wars a bit with the diagonal striping. They're not exciting, but it's nice to take a break from 4,000 stitch lace rows...

P.S. If you're a US Citizen, and you haven't voted yet- please do!

No comments: