Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Booty, and An Afterthought




Those are Anna Zilborg's feet, in socks she knit herself. If you ever have a chance to hear Anna Zilborg speak- do so.







It didn't seem like I bought that much... picking up skeins one or two at a time, spread out over four days. And truly, I didn't spend as much as I had allowed myself for yarn. But...
... that's a lot of yarn.


And check out those adorable glass stitch markers (a sheep, a frog, a ladybug, a bee, and a turtle), and the even adorabler wooden sheep bobbins from Girl On the Rocks.


Anyway, a (probably not last) thought about the Sock Summit:


Some of you know (or remember) that I used to write fiction. I used to go to Bouchercons, the World Mystery Conventions (which were very much like the Sock Summit, without all of the yarn. Or the knitting). The #1 Rule of Author Interaction at B'Con was: Do NOT Accost Famous People in The Bathroom.


I wanted, quite badly, to speak personally to Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. Mostly for Fangirl Reasons (I can gush with the best, or worst, of them), but also to thank her for all of the work that went into the Summit. I saw her frequently throughout the Summit, but each time, she was otherwise occupied- either she was onstage (and therefore off limits to one-on-one interaction), consulting seriously with Summit Staff, posing for pictures with other Fangirls (we are Legion), or hurrying somewhere with a distracted (and harried) look on her face. The only time I saw her, unharried, unstaged, unconsulted, and ungushed was a chance encounter in the bathroom, where I restrained myself (it took a heroic effort).

So, Stephanie, though we did not speak- I want to thank you (and Tina, whom I did thank in person, and all of the other staff and volunteers- each of whom I tried to thank personally) for the most wonderful weekend ever. I will always remember it.
So will my bank account.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really appreciate your daily comments on the sock summit. How exciting the days were. I was wondering what Anna Z said in her speach...can you remember? and tell us a bit? MargoK of VA

Natalie Rush said...

How fun!! Looks like a great loot and glad you had fun! So jealous!! Wish I could have been there!