Saturday, January 30, 2010

Before I Head Out

Today's trip prep is a trifle less hectic than recent journeys- I'm flying out of Sioux Falls early tomorrow, so we're staying there tonight (so I don't have to get up at 1:00am for the 3 hour drive in order to get to the airport at the appointed time). And this isn't a work trip, though I will be working... in between cactus sightings and sight seeing and lounging poolside... yeah, work...

All I have to do this evening is go to B&N for some flight reading (airport bookstores only stock pb bestsellers and most of them don't interest me, and I don't feel like lugging a hardback around, though I would really like to read Stephen King's most recent doorstop.) I finished Sarah Vowell's The Wordy Shipmates on the way back from NC last week, and started Jerome K. Jerome's Three Men in a Boat (which is every bit as funny in print, as it was as an audio book). However it's a slim volume, and I'll probably finish it in Denver. So I need at least one more book to add to my already heavy knitting/shampoo/makeup/HersheyBar for emergencies *personal item bag* .



Speaking of audio (via Librovox as always) , I'm listening to Northanger Abbey on the treadmill now. It's probably Jane Austen's funniest book, and I am really enjoying it. Each chapter is read by a different reader (well, sometimes they do 2 in a row, but there are many readers), and so far, that hasn't been too jarring, though the sound quality varies wildly (not to mention the traffic noises in the backgrounds of some of them). I am picturing the odious John Thorpe as Phillip Seymour Hoffman in his Twister days (which movie I watch at least once a year, when I need a good laugh. I don't think anyone connected with it had ever been in a thunderstorm, much less a full-blown tornado. I especially love the ice-cube hail, but I digress). I picture Henry Tilney as one of the Jonas Brothers (the one with the curliest hair), though I think if I met Mr. Tilney in person, I might wonder if he was one of The Men Who Do Not Marry.

Anyway, it's a wonderful book, and now I need to go finish packing. I'll check in from Yuma, with pics and reports and the usual trip stuff. Be good while I'm gone.

1 comment:

Frankie said...

I hope you trip is nice and easy and enjoyable. And yes, you must read Stephen King's Under the Dome -- I really enjoyed it and think it's probably one of his 3 best works. Happy knitting!